Google Docs
The web 2.0 adventure has provided my first opportunity to use Google Docs. Our blogging group has been using it to discuss social bookmarking tools such as Delicious and Library Thing. It is a fantastic innovation and I can see myself using this particular tool a great deal in the future. However I did find that when I was typing in the document there was a bit a delay between what I was writing and its appearence on the screen which was a bit frustrating. I wonder if anyone else experienced this but I suppose if you were to cut and paste from a Word document on your PC it wouldn't be an issue so perhaps I'll try that next time.
I discovered that the potential of Google docs goes beyond just uploading and editing a Word doc. It has a huge range of new features including uploading photos from Picasa, mobile editing and real time collabortaive highlighting in documents. Also, the 'Discussion' capability provides a forum for collaboators to discuss work as they add to and edit content. It seems as though the services that Google Docs provide are improving exponentially. In contrast to Drop Box this tool is much more suited to collaborative work whilst I've been using Drop Box mainly to save and back up work so that I can access it when I'm away from my home PC. Also, Drop Box has essentially replaced my USB as I don't have the same reliance on that particular device and don't need to remember to carry it with me all the time. These web 2.0 tools are certainly making life much easier!
I discovered that the potential of Google docs goes beyond just uploading and editing a Word doc. It has a huge range of new features including uploading photos from Picasa, mobile editing and real time collabortaive highlighting in documents. Also, the 'Discussion' capability provides a forum for collaboators to discuss work as they add to and edit content. It seems as though the services that Google Docs provide are improving exponentially. In contrast to Drop Box this tool is much more suited to collaborative work whilst I've been using Drop Box mainly to save and back up work so that I can access it when I'm away from my home PC. Also, Drop Box has essentially replaced my USB as I don't have the same reliance on that particular device and don't need to remember to carry it with me all the time. These web 2.0 tools are certainly making life much easier!
I like collaborating on the Google doc it was so easy to use, but I was concerned that anyone who was allowed to edit the document could delete all the hard work done by the rest of the group. Maybe I just have trust issues, haha. I agree that Google docs' capabilities make online group work very possible, I'll be using it in the future too.
ReplyDeleteI had the same problem when typing in the document, there was a delay before it appeared on the screen, was a bit frustrating.
ReplyDelete