Social bookmarking where have you been all my life?

Delicious from Yahoo!

I wish I had found out about Delicious years ago! It would have come in handy, especially when I was teaching. I used an Interactive Whiteboard in my classroom and collected lots of interactive literacy and mathematics websites. Often when I would go to look for a particular website in my 'favourites' for a lesson I spent ages trying to find the one I needed. Delicious would have helped to save so much time!

The creators claim that 'the best way to learn how to use Delicious is to use Delicious' so I have been trying it out by collecting some websites related to Information management. Now I can access these websites from any computer so long as it is connected to the internet. One of the main differences to regular bookmarking is that you can place tags on the websites to allow for easy organisation. Another helpful feature of this tool is that it allows users to look up popular tags. I plan to browse some of the popular bookmarks to find some useful travel websites.

The only frustration discovered so far with using Delicious is that I had to create a Yahoo! account. I'm having some difficulty with remembering all the user names and passwords I have created since embarking upon the web 2.0 adventure. Also, I haven't worked out how to share my bookmarks with other users yet. Can anyone help me out with this?

I have also created a Dropbox account and have added some music files but thats all I’ve got up to so far. I’m keen to find out more about how to use this tool and work out how to share files.

Comments