Microblogging-more to it than tweeting first and thinking later...

I have just become part of the Twitter community. Until now I had never even considered joining Twitter.  Mistakenly I thought Twitter was merely a platform used by celebrities or people making random comments and often tweeting first then thinking later. However, once I created my account I was delighted to discover the mesmerizing range of interesting people, organisations and institutions that I could follow. I must admit that I had no idea about the extent to which Twitter allows for the succinct communication of significant information.

Since joining Twitter I have started following The New York City Public Library (NYPL), a few publishers, ABC radio Melbourne, Father Bob and Will Anderson to name a few. Clearly Twitter could become very addictive and a major temptation for people inclined to procrastination such as myself.

However, it has many merits too. I have gained a new awareness of its use as a collaborative tool for communicating with peers and colleagues. Also, Twitter is an up-to-date forum for political perspectives from around the world. As I mentioned earlier I have started following The New York City Public Library, I’m really looking forward to visiting when I go to New York in July. The NYPL uses Twitter to expand its online presence. The librarians & staff tweet daily to inform the public about events and activities happening at the Library and in NYC. Also, the NYPL encourages its audience on Twitter to send them questions via a tweet or text which increases its capacity to assist clients.

Comments

  1. I'm still undecided about Twitter, but some of you Tweeters are certainly interesting. Maybe you'll sway me to change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been thrilled with twitter, but maybe I haven't been following the right people. Your blog has given me the motivation to follow some different people !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment