eBooks don't smell...
One of the blogs that captured my interest is The Librarian in Black. Whilst getting acquainted with this particular blog I gained an insight into the eBook debate/apparent controversy. I must admit I'm playing catchup with this issue as up until recently I've been stubbornly ignoring eBooks. Previously the mere mention of eBooks made me cringe; I love collecting books for my home library. I love the smell of books (even the really old ones) and the tactile nature of books.
I suppose I have felt quite strongly opposed to eBooks in the past. A quote from the librarian, Giles, in the television show Buffy summarises my stance. Despite the fact that the following exchange is about computers not eBooks I still think it applies:
"Computers don't smell."
Giles: "I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a - it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly."
Buffy references aside, after delving into the blog I realised whether I like the idea of eBooks or not they are probably here to stay and are creating issues for both libraries and consumers. From what I've gathered after reading The Librarian in Black the use of eBooks are restricted by propriety limitations that in essence limit users control over the eBooks purchased. Readers are concerned about the Digital Rights Management (DRM) imposed on ebooks which they perceive breaches the right to freely disseminate information and ideas. Indeed, The Librarian in Black has posted the following e-book user's bill of rights and has requested for people to shout out this idea on a wide range of web 2.0 forums:
I suppose I have felt quite strongly opposed to eBooks in the past. A quote from the librarian, Giles, in the television show Buffy summarises my stance. Despite the fact that the following exchange is about computers not eBooks I still think it applies:
"Computers don't smell."
Giles: "I know. Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a-a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and-and-and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a - it, uh, it has no-no texture, no-no context. It's-it's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then-then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly."
Buffy references aside, after delving into the blog I realised whether I like the idea of eBooks or not they are probably here to stay and are creating issues for both libraries and consumers. From what I've gathered after reading The Librarian in Black the use of eBooks are restricted by propriety limitations that in essence limit users control over the eBooks purchased. Readers are concerned about the Digital Rights Management (DRM) imposed on ebooks which they perceive breaches the right to freely disseminate information and ideas. Indeed, The Librarian in Black has posted the following e-book user's bill of rights and has requested for people to shout out this idea on a wide range of web 2.0 forums:
Every eBook user should have the following rights:
* the right to use eBooks under guidelines that favor access over proprietary limitations
* the right to access eBooks on any technological platform, including the hardware and software the user chooses
* the right to annotate, quote passages, print, and share eBook content within the spirit of fair use and copyright
* the right of the first-sale doctrine extended to digital content, allowing the eBook owner the right to retain, archive, share, and re-sell purchased eBooks
* the right to access eBooks on any technological platform, including the hardware and software the user chooses
* the right to annotate, quote passages, print, and share eBook content within the spirit of fair use and copyright
* the right of the first-sale doctrine extended to digital content, allowing the eBook owner the right to retain, archive, share, and re-sell purchased eBooks
I believe in the free market of information and ideas.
I've gained a new interest in this issue and will endeavor to become better informed. Maybe I'll check out some eBooks even though they don't smell.
Comments
Post a Comment